Cleaning up Fire Damage in your Romulus Home
Fire and smoke damage can be the most devastating things to happen to your home. Once the fire is put out and everyone is safe, it is important to act quickly on cleaning up the damage.
The first 48 hours after a fire can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
Here are some WHAT TO DO tips while waiting for a SERVPRO Franchise Professional to arrive:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating lubricant.
- Was both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave the system off until a trainer professional can check the system.
What NOT to Do After Water Damage:
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contracting your SERVPRO Professional.
- Attempt a shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
Before you risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself, call SERVPRO of Romulus at 734-992-3138. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals work hard to help fire damage “Like it never even happened.”