Space Heater Reminders as We Head into Winter
Keeping warm in the winter months can be challenging, especially living in Michigan. Homeowners often use space heaters to help keep warm. Although these heaters are effective for providing extra warmth, they can also be very dangerous.
What you should know:
- 80% of home heating fires involve space heaters.
- 32% of home heating fires are caused by space heaters.
- 24% of home heating fire deaths were due to space heaters placed too close to furniture, bedding, clothing or upholstered.
- 50% of all home heating fires occur in December, January and February.
What you should do:
- Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- 3 Ft. Rule. Make sure the space heater is at least 3 feet from anything that can burn.
- Do not place a space heater in a damp room. Humid air can cause the space heater to short, leading to an electrical hire.
- Never leave a space heater on when you leave the house.
- Make sure all smoke alarms are working and are on every level of your home. It is also recommended to test them monthly.
- Always place the space heater on a hard, level and nonflammable surface.
- Avoid using an extension cord. Plug a space heater directly into an outlet with enough capacity.
In case of a home heating fire, SERVPRO of Romulus is available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to help you regain control quickly. Give us a call at 734-992-3138