Preparing Your Home or Business for Hurricanes
Here in Michigan, we obviously do not have to worry about hurricanes. But for those who own vacation homes or have friends/family living in hurricane zones, we have some helpful tips to prepare that you can share.
Tips from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) for Preparing Your Home or Business for a Hurricane.
Prepare your Home:
- Cover all your home’s windows with precut plywood or hurricane shutters to protect your windows from high winds.
- Plan to bring in all your outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Turn off utilities as instructed. Otherwise, turn the refrigerator thermostat to its coldest setting and keep doors closed.
- Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purposes such as cleaning and flushing toilets. Fill the bathtub and other large containers with water.
Prepare your Business:
- Carefully assess how your company functions, both internally and externally, to determine which staff, materials, procedures, and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep the business operating.
- Identify operations critical to survival and recovery.
- Plan what you will do if your building, is not accessible.
- Consider if you can run the business from a different location or from your home.
- Develop relationships with other companies to use their facilities in case a disaster makes your location unusable.