If an advanced Flood Warning has been issued, there are several precautions that can be taken to help minimize damage to certain areas of your business:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical equipment and appliances.
- Move vehicles out of low-lying parking garages.
- Raise elevators from bottom floor.
AFTER A FLOOD
- Account that all employees are safe by establishing evacuation plans in advance, identifying areas outside the building that are designated meeting places. Assign select individuals to keep a list of their assigned team’s names and contact numbers in order to account for their whereabouts.
- If water enters the building and evacuation becomes impossible, move to an upper floor, and wait for rescuers. While evacuating, avoid attempting to drive through floods or rising water, nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are auto related.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk-through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Use no open flames (there may be gas escaping from ruptured mains).
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Return only when authorities indicate it is safe.
SECURE THE PROPERTY
- Contact local emergency officials.
- Secure main entrances to building.
- Alert Security company and Alarm company of the situation.
STABILIZE THE PROPERTY
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Give priority to the protection of power plant and fire pumps, keeping them in service if at all possible.
- Open basement or low-level windows to equalize water pressure on the building’s foundation and walls.
- Begin water damage mitigation steps only if local emergency officials deem the structure safe to enter.
- Notify your insurance agent or Risk Manager to determine insurance policy guidelines and steps to take.
If you have flood damage, we are water damage restoration specialists and are ready to restore your home back to pre-water damage condition. We are available 24/7 so that when a disaster strikes, we have your back.