Have you ever plugged in too many devices into one outlet at once? Everything seemed fined and all of a sudden, the power goes off. You more than likely created a circuit overload in your home.
All electrical circuits are designed to handle a certain amount of electricity. When you bring in more electricity than a circuit can handle, a circuit overload will occur, potentially causing a fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical fires are one of the leading causes of structure fire annually. Which is accounted for nearly 13% of reported home fires and results in 420 fatalities, 1,520 injuries and nearly $1.5 billion in property damage.
How can you prevent a potential house fire by an overloaded circuit? Follow the tips below:
- Never plug more than two devices into an outlet at once.
- Know the amount of power you are putting on an outlet or circuit.
- Large appliances like refrigerators and dryers should be plugged into their own outlet since they are heavy power users.
- If you see that you have been overloading an outlet or circuit in your home, you should consider contacting a professional to help resolve the problem.
If an electrical fire does occur, we are always here to help 24/7. We specialize in fire and water damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have extensive fire damage cleanup and restoration training to get your property back to pre-fire condition.
For more information about how to prevent electrical fires in your home, visit nfpa.org.