Hidden Water Damage in Your Home
Water damage does not only come from burst pipes or flooding to damage your home. In most cases, undetected water damage can cause the most damage and be quite a headache.
There are five indicators that there’s water damage going hidden in your home:
- Stains on walls and ceilings: Nobody purposefully looks up at their ceiling. However, it is important to thoroughly check the ceilings in your home for stains. There might be a bathtub or shower leak from one floor to the next, or your ceiling could leak into the attic.
- Musty or unpleasant smells: Do you smell something musty, or even earthy, in your home? Hidden water can cause mold to grow, and a nasty smell is a good signal that something is wrong.
- Peeling paint: Not only can water stain your walls, but it can also cause the paint to lift. If you see your paint starting to peel, quickly find the source of the problem, or call a professional to fix it.
- Mold Growth: Just like with ceilings, we do not exactly pay attention to the corners of our homes, but often these small hidden areas can tell us about potentially harmful leaks or spills. Check to see if there are any discolored or fuzzy looking spots in isolated corners or hidden areas.
- Flooring: When allowed to flow, water naturally reaches the lowest level. Therefore, rivers flow downstream. Water can seep under your flooring and collect – damaging your sub-floors. Check for and warping or deformation to make sure there is no water hiding beneath the floorboards. When this happens, it is important to act as quickly as possible, so we can restore your flooring to good as new.
Here at SERVPRO of Romulus/Taylor, we are water damage restoration specialists and are ready to restore your home back to pre-water damage condition. Whether water damage sneaks up on you or not, we are available 24/7 to make it “Like it never even happened.”