Always Prioritize Safety as You Grill
For us, enjoying summer is all about getting outside with family and firing up the grill, but safety is key to making sure this stays a fun activity. Grilling dangers are something many people do not discuss, but as with any open flame, the risk of a grill fire is there every time you light yours up. Fortunately, a bit of prevention goes a long way.
It is reported by the U.S. Fire Administration that grill fires occur at least 5,700 times every year, making them more prevalent than many realize. But grilling can be a fun and safe activity if you follow the proper fire safety protocols when you do it.
Keep Grilling Fun, Safe and Fire-Free
- Create a safe zone around your grill. It is convenient to place your grill in a spot close to your home but giving yourself plenty of surrounding space is important in case of flare-ups. Three feet is the recommended distance to have around your grill, free from wood, siding or any other flammable materials.
- Clean your grill grates often. By keeping your grill grates clean, you can keep the temperature inside your grill steadier and reduce the chances of a sudden fire starting. Built-on food particles can get extremely hot when the grill is in use, even suddenly igniting in some cases. A quick scrape after each grill session can go a long way in reducing this danger.
- Never leave the grill unattended. There is no safe way to ever leave a grill unattended, even if the lid is closed. Fires only take a second to start, so your best bet to circumvent damage is by always being nearby with a fire extinguisher just in case. Even for a quick break, it is best to have someone take over your grill station to keep a vigilant eye out.
- Inspect the grill regularly. The components of a grill are not made to last forever, and even if you are using yours regularly, you never know when something could finally give out. Before you ever light your grill, do a visual inspection to make sure everything looks like it is in good shape and there are no areas that could lead to a gas leak on your connectors.