Make a Plan for Yourself, Family and Friends
September is National Preparedness Month. Follow our weekly blog posts designed to help you prepare for a disaster. Disasters don’t plan ahead. You Can. This week we are focusing on making a plan for yourself, family and your friends.
Make a plan today. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to know which types of disasters could affect your area. Preparing the family for an emergency is as simple as a conversation over dinner. Here are some ideas from SERVPRO of Romulus/Taylor to get you started:
- Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated.
- Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.
- Download a group texting app so your entire family can keep in touch before, during & after an emergency.
- Practice evacuating in the car with your animals, so they’re more comfortable if you need to evacuate in an emergency.
- Consider downloading the Fema app with weather alerts for up to 5 locations: fema.gov/mobile-app
- Sign up for local emergency alerts in your area by searching online.
Keeping yourself, family and your friends safe is your first priority when disaster strikes. Be sure you have plan in place before disaster strikes. For more information on creating and implementing a Disaster Plan visit Ready.gov.